Sunday 22 May 2011

You gotta have a sense of humor....

Two stories.

First, I took Brenden to the CDC (Child Development Center... the daycare on base) yesterday for their monthly "Give Parents a Break" program. It's one Saturday a month for 5 hours and it's free. He did SO GREAT! There were only 4 kids in his age group there so the attention was a little more one-on-one I guess. The teacher said he had so much fun playing and that she would take him over the kids in her normal class any day. That made my day. I can't believe this is the same kid who screamed for 2 hours straight up there just a couple of weeks ago. He's really come a long way. Then she kept gushing about how cute he was. She said he's definitely going to be a heartbreaker with his perfect face and eyelashes. My thoughts, but her words. Well, I get a phone call saying that he fell and his tooth cut his lip. This exact same thing happened on Thursday up there. I actually didn't get to the phone because I was shampooing the carpets and didn't hear it- when I checked the message I had to listen to it twice just to make sure it wasn't an old message! Anyways, I didn't call back. I wasn't worried. He's a boy; bumps and bruises come with that. I'd be more worried if he never hurt himself because it would mean that either a) I was being way too overprotective, or b) he wasn't exploring. Anyways, I go to pick him up and they are just apologizing so much and telling me how bad they fell and yada, yada, yada. I kept reassuring them that it was okay!! They couldn't believe how cool I was about the situation. Of course I'm sad that he got hurt - that breaks my heart - but I can't help but laugh at what a little klutz he is. If I freaked out every time he got hurt I'd go crazy. You've got to laugh- you've got to have a sense of humor about things.

Next story.

Today Brenden and I had to go to base to return the Rug Doctor. By the way, my carpets look amazing. It'll probably be less than a week before they show proof that two dogs and a toddler live here, but for now they look great. We were going through the gate and Brielle was trying to escape through the front so I had my hand on my belly trying to keep her in :) The British gate guard checked my I.D. then we had this little conversation:

Him: "Not much longer now, yeah?"
Me: "I've actually still got over 3 months!"
Him: "3 months?!?! You're going to be huge!"
Me" *laughs* "You're telling me!"

At least someone said it, I guess. The looks on people's faces when I tell them I'm not due until Sepember 9 says it all, but no one's actually come out and said it (not strangers anyways!). A lot of women might have gotten offended by this, but if it's the truth then why get offended?? I've got a big belly, and I'm proud of it! I'm cooking a beautiful, healthy little girl and I love it. Again, you've GOT to have a sense of humor!

Not much else going on here. This term is getting ready to come to a close (yessssss!!) so I've been busy with schoolwork. I said this was my last term until January, but I'm addicted to school so I'm taking a speech class this summer. It's face-to-face though so I'm hoping it won't be so bad. Online classes take an insane amount of discipline since you basically have to teach yourself. I'm also taking an online resume writing class, but it's only 4 weeks long and a 1 credit course so I know it'll be pretty simple.

Hopefully I'll have my mom and sister out here to help. Then William will be home. Then my in-laws are coming out. So the journey of the single mom is about to end. Until the next time he's gone, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment